Monday, November 9, 2015

Amazing Parents

Well another week in Ontario and it is still snowless in the Bowmanville area thank goodness. Crazy to think that it is almost Christmas! 

Dear Mom and Dad,
We have been trying to visit as many unknown people on the ward directory as possible and we found a lot that have incorrect data, and met a couple not that wanted no contact or worse. We also took the time yesterday to go through all of our old records that we had and weed out the usless records and toss them in the trash. It was amazing to go through and see how much pointless records were kept, pretty sure we tossed like 3 pounds from our area book. 

Our favorite family out here is the Inegite family. Brother Inegite is from Nigeria and is so funny! He is trying to convince his pregnant wife to name their baby "James Brown", she's not having that haha. The members feed us all the time here and one dinner appointment we had at the Van essens home, we shared the First vision with them and sister Van Essens said "I never had a testimony of Joseph Smith until now because I felt the spirit from you elders sharing that (as she was crying)"

As far as investigators go we found a Part member family, the parents are very Less active and the husband claims to be agnostic now and never had a witness of God's existence. There son Noah is a 12yr old "mini Joseph Smith", yet he is totally confused by the actions of his parents and that is one of the saddest things we have to witness. I was impressed to direct Noah to go and turn off all of the lights in the room and one by one turn them on again, representing our increase of the light of Christ & Faith we receive after we make an action towards the source of light, also showing that he had the faith that the light would even work before he flicked it on (touching on Joseph smiths words of us living in a world run by faith). I loved it and the mom did too, as for the dad... he is procrastinating the day of his repentance because of the tears I saw starting to form. Only a matter of time mwahaha.

I am pretty excited to see the Montreal Temple rededication in 2 weeks, very curious to see how it is done. 

One thing that I tried to do quite different this week is that I started to read the Book of Mormon in French. It is so cool to read and get the same story but way more simplified. I have been able to feel the same spirit as I did the first time I read the Book of Mormon which is a miraculous experience. Plus I get to learn some french on the side pretty sick. If you want one idea of a Christmas gift for me I would love a French Bible :) doesn't have to be special, even if it is one from a thrift shop would be amazing!!

After the last several months I have been thinking a lot about the future and what areas to work towards. I have decided to look into police work when I return. I have been excited to think that I actually have an idea of what to have as a goal.  Yesterday in Elders Quorum we had the lesson on preparedness and self reliance in the Ezra T. Benson manual. I took a lot of notes from it as we were going through it about what I need to keep in mind for sustaining my family and myself in life. Things such as Content in the things I have, Food storage ( Ps mom I want you to teach me how to can foods), Savings and staying out of debt, not over spending over what I can afford and many other wise and wonderful things that I loved to hear as I am near the time I will need to practise those principles. 

Before we got to the church president sent a mission wide text saying that, "All are short of the glory of God, so remember that if you have something that you are in need of repenting of something, lay it on the sacrament altar and leave it there." My mind was blown in a whole new outlook on the sacrament! Just like the times of Moses and burnt offereings, we are given the gift of the Lamb of God as a sacrafice sufficient for the sins of the world. I felt prompted to think a lot more symbolically then usual and I felt a great spirit and peace as I laid down my sacrafices of repentance and continually thought of Christ's sacrafice.

Dad that is super cool that you learned how to get rid of peoples gag reflex for a time, makes me more at peace knowing I will be back in your chair one day, because I gag like crazy! I am so grateful for you and the continual love, guidance and counsel that you have bestowed upon me. I truly know that you are the best Dad in the World! I always pray at the end of my day to thank God for such amazing parents that are heaven sent and are embodyments of true Saints. I wish to follow that example myself and hope that one day I can be at least 1/4 of the parent you both are. 

Love to you all. Have a Blessed Week!!! 
Elder Muirhead

No comments:

Post a Comment